Matthew 3:1-17 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matthew 3:1-17 Discussion

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:41 am

In Matthew chapter 3 we learned about John the Baptist. Now we know that John the Baptist was in the wilderness. John the Baptist could be heard preaching on repentance because the kingdom of heaven is at hand. We read in Matthew 3 how the people went out to him to be baptized in the Jordan confessing their sins.
As we move forward in the text we see that in Matthew 3:8 Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance. What John is saying is let your lives prove your change of heart. This reminds me that we have to be willing to reflect the change that God has done in our lives. We go to God asking for forgiveness then turn around and become a repeat offender, doing that very thing that we have asked God to forgive. Our lives have to show the repentance that we have been seeking God for.

Then we come to Matthew 3:10 I indeed baptize you in water because of repentance. But He Who is coming after me is mightier than I, Whose sandals I am not worthy or fit to take off or carry; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

This scripture made me think, we all have been giving assignments and we perform them, but we have to recognize that we will never be able to do more than what God can do. We may come in contact with people that have become so caught up in the gift that they will forget that God holds the power and is more than able to change any situation.
This showed that John was humble enough to let the people know who God is and that they should know him for themselves because He is the only one that can truly change their lives.

In Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John to baptize by him
Matthew 3: 14 But John protested, having in mind to prevent Him, saying it is I who need to be baptized by you, and you come to me?

I know that we can all relate to John, at some point God has giving us an assignment to complete and we have questioned are we even qualified to carry out his plan. Just like John we may have said, God I need you yet you call me. We just have to remember that God knows what plans he as for our lives we just have to be willing to except the assignment.

What are your thoughts?_______________________________________________________________
How did you respond to God as he brought forth an assignment you didn’t feel you were worthy of?________________________________________________________
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://egandf.friendhood.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Matthew 3:1-17 Discussion

Post by slimhall on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:45 pm

First of all in this text I love the fact my Saviour is not cocky. The reason I say this is because he could have took full authority over the baptisms but he didnt he allowed John to complete the task that he was given by the Father.Jesus didn't look at John as less but equal.

slimhall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Great observation, I didn't think of this. To think that God trust us in our gifts to use them in his presence.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://egandf.friendhood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by slimhall on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:59 am

You know he gives each one of us a different translation lol

slimhall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content